Hi everyone

Archived posts from the beginners section.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Re: Hi everyone

Postby Antie Em » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:33 am

Northern Lass wrote:
Antie Em wrote:I use Rootsmagic - I have used it for years and just buy the update every couple of years. It is really easy to use and the backup help from the company is excellent. In fact they arrange online training.

Have a look at S & N Supplies here : http://www.genealogysupplies.com/

The Platinum Edition is the one that you need.

There are free family history programmes you can use - Tribal Pages is good, this is the one we use for Black Country Connections, but it is web based, so you could lose your very valuable research.

Maggie

You can back up the Tribal Pages one if you pay which isnt much.
Then you can put it on your memory stick safe :grin:

Tribal Pages is really good, but you do have to pay yearly to have full access, which over a few years would cost more than personal family history programmes - and if it does cease to exist, you still need another programme to add your collected back up information to. If you go with one of the other programmes, you keep it safe on your PC and you can add more personal information, ie e mail addresses, birthdays and addresses. You can of course do this on Tribal Pages, and keep your site 'Private', but it is Web Based and open to abuse, even if it's only the employees of the site.

I use both. I keep all my own research on my computer, with up to date information, and I have a Tribal Pages tree to share information with my family and other's I have made a connection to.

Sorry if there is an overload of information here. You may need to take a little time while you start your research and then think about how you want to collate your information, perhaps when you have too much to follow easily.

Maggie
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby snoopysue » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:41 am

Hope wrote:
snoopysue wrote:Just have a play about with it, can't hurt! :wink:

Play with it lol i am going to break it lol ohh so difficult its only giving me details that i have put in no more x

It wont give you much, but can tell you if you're on the right track, for example if you know that John Jones married Catherine ? within a ceratin time frame and place, and only one Catherine comes up, it's a good starting point to finding out who Catherine was and who her parents were.

Another free one to try is
www.familysearch.com
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby SRD » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:06 am

Poor Hope, inundated with good advice from all directions. Can someone (just one of you, I'd do it myself but we're just off out to the dentist) just run her through the steps of searching on FreeBMD for her grandparent's marriage and the extra details that can be looked at behind the various links on the pages. Then if someone could do the same with the Family Search site and in no time there'll be a little tutorial for others to follow as well. Let's leave the 'paid for' sites until she's more familiar with the general principles.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby Hope » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:28 am

SRD wrote:Poor Hope, inundated with good advice from all directions. Can someone (just one of you, I'd do it myself but we're just off out to the dentist) just run her through the steps of searching on FreeBMD for her grandparent's marriage and the extra details that can be looked at behind the various links on the pages. Then if someone could do the same with the Family Search site and in no time there'll be a little tutorial for others to follow as well. Let's leave the 'paid for' sites until she's more familiar with the general principles.

Thank you SRD YES poor Hope lol had to go for a walk clear my head . All very good advice but it takes me an hour to find Google . Good luck at the dentist.
Thanks everyone x
Hope

Postby Maths girl » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:14 pm

Hope wrote:
SRD wrote:Poor Hope, inundated with good advice from all directions. Can someone (just one of you, I'd do it myself but we're just off out to the dentist) just run her through the steps of searching on FreeBMD for her grandparent's marriage and the extra details that can be looked at behind the various links on the pages. Then if someone could do the same with the Family Search site and in no time there'll be a little tutorial for others to follow as well. Let's leave the 'paid for' sites until she's more familiar with the general principles.

Thank you SRD YES poor Hope lol had to go for a walk clear my head . All very good advice but it takes me an hour to find Google . Good luck at the dentist.
Thanks everyone x

Ok Hope -- I am willing to try to work through (at whatever pace you suits you) some of the info and how to get it.

If you send me a pm and in it include details of your parents and grandparents marriages -- names, when,where -- and I will help to guide you through finding one or more until you have mastered finding them and then you could try another one for yourself.

PS to send a pm first click on the pm symbol to the right of this post -- that will automatically tell it to send it to me -- write the info in the box and push submit -- you might need to confirm this by clicking submit on the next page -- --On the left it will say Outbox (1) until I have read it.

does that make sense for now -- ask away if anything is not clear.

Maths girl
Maths girl

Postby linell » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:13 pm

Have got my parents Marriage certificate and also got my grand parents marriage certificate on both mom and dads side. No not a member of either did take a look but found it rather scary to try and work out lol x[/quote]

You can buy 'Family Tree Maker' for 99p on Ebay, would be an easy way of storing your information until you need to spread your wings a bit and buy something more technical.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Family-Tree-Maker ... _693wt_908

Linell.
linell

Postby linell » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:16 pm

Maths girl wrote:
Hope wrote:

Thanks everyone x

Ok Hope -- I am willing to try to work through (at whatever pace you suits you) some of the info and how to get it.

If you send me a pm and in it include details of your parents and grandparents marriages -- names, when,where -- and I will help to guide you through finding one or more until you have mastered finding them and then you could try another one for yourself.

PS to send a pm first click on the pm symbol to the right of this post -- that will automatically tell it to send it to me -- write the info in the box and push submit -- you might need to confirm this by clicking submit on the next page -- --On the left it will say Outbox (1) until I have read it.

Maths girl

LOL A PM, sure Hope is now totally confused MG :o Linell.
linell

Postby Maths girl » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:56 pm

linell wrote:

Maths girl

LOL A PM, sure Hope is now totally confused MG :o Linell.[/quote]

I hope not -- I was trying to give Hope a way of communicating details so that any advice given could be specific rather than general -- a pm (private message) is another process but I think once mastered would allow Hope to talk confidentially to whichever one of us she felt would be able to help her best rather than as SRD stated being swamped by general advice from everyone at once.
Maths girl

Postby Hope » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:51 pm

All you people are so sweet and kind thank you so much taking it all onboard and it may take me months to sort it but i will i promise .
Even think i managed a test pm so one big step forward today alone thank you all my friends x
Hope

Postby Maths girl » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:06 pm

Hope wrote:All you people are so sweet and kind thank you so much taking it all onboard and it may take me months to sort it but i will i promise .
Even think i managed a test pm so one big step forward today alone thank you all my friends x

Hope -- I have not received a PM from you so if you think you sent your test to me it hasn't made it -- don't worry it took me about 3 goes to get one through. Hopefully you sent it to someone else and it has arrived safely.

I admire your perseverance as you say you will get there in time and we are a patient lot or this wouldn't be the hobby for us.
Maths girl

Postby peterd » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:10 pm

hope if you want to pm someone, you have to us the PM button under that person name you wish to contact, and not the one under you own?

is this the mistake you made with maths girl ?

pete

maths girls pm.jpg
maths girls pm.jpg (14.75 KiB) Viewed 3439 times

but click on the one on the right handside not the picture :lol: sorry trying to make it as clear as possible
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby Hope » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:28 pm

peterd wrote:hope if you want to pm someone, you have to us the PM button under that person name you wish to contact, and not the one under you own?

is this the mistake you made with maths girl ?

pete

maths girls pm.jpg

but click on the one on the right handside not the picture :lol: sorry trying to make it as clear as possible

Thank you Pete just checked and its still sitting in my outbox so dont think it went will try it the way you have explained thanks x
Hope

Postby peterd » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:38 pm

The PM will sit in your outbox until the person comes on the forum and read it, then it will disapear from your outbox

if you wish try sending me one
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

peterd

Postby linell » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:04 pm

Hope wrote:All you people are so sweet and kind thank you so much taking it all onboard and it may take me months to sort it but i will i promise .

I got yours fine Hope, well done, it is not that straight forward.

Linell.
linell

Postby peterd » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:08 pm

i also got the one you sent, sent one back

peterd

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Posts