*TBC To be Archived 24hrs*Printing your family tree

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

*TBC To be Archived 24hrs*Printing your family tree

Postby designer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:37 pm

Hello everyone,

I do hope you don't mind me posting on this website and I do hope you may be able to help me!

I am a designer, looking for a project to work on and recently have become interested in genealogy as my Mum has really got into it.

I was wondering how everyone has gone about printing your family tree. Is it something you have done? How did you do it?

I was inspired by my Mother's work and perhaps felt that the things she has purchased could perhaps be improved/more inspiring? I.e very plain, samey.

I am interested to know how many people buy a chart to fill in and how many actually have their names printed on something professionally.

I am keen to develop something as it has become a real hobby of my Mums and she has spent hours doing it.

I am currently putting together a private graphic piece for her where all her family tree names are in order and form a picture of a tree. (Hard to imagine but a beautiful wall piece).

If you have a family tree and have had or would like it printed I would love to know your opinions/feelings regarding this. What would you like to see? Do you have your family tree on your wall at home? What would you like to see available to other genealogy fans.

Thanks so much.
designer

Re: Printing your family tree

Postby peterd » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:02 pm

there a few companies that actually will print your tree from a gedcom file dont remember any names but there usually at the genealogy fairs
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby designer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:23 pm

Thank you.

Do you mind me asking if it something you have done or would do. Or are you not so interested?

Thanks again
designer

Postby FarSide » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:34 pm

I use Legacy, on there you can print every which way you want.
http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/
I live in my own little world. But it's ok....they know me here!
FarSide

Postby Annie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:08 am

HI

I also print my own from my family history software.

Annie
Annie

Postby marie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:14 am

I've used Legacy's Charting and Roots Magic to print trees. The largest I've done was 25 feet long and over 500 names and photos. (this was done in B&W using a pdf file and a firm that printed blueprints - cost $15)
I have a printer that prints 11x17 size and have found that I can get poster size printed relatively in expensively at places like Wal-mart.
BOth of the above programs will print my charts imposed on a background photo and this has worked out very well and also will orient horizontally or vertically.
The biggest problem is that they really will only do a line oriented off one individual - most families are more like hedgerows. You want your ancestors but you'd also like to include great aunt Sally's that married into your line. There are a couple of firms that will print these types of charts, but it is expensive. Family tree magazine had a feature on chart printing firms about 3 years ago.
This site might interest you http://www.phpgedview.net/
I usually find creating a chart as a PDF and then manipulating it with Adobe Acrobat to get what I want , then printing it the size I want - gives the best results. I have not tried making up two ancestor charts and combining them on the shared individuals yet.
marie

Postby gwen » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:48 pm

I have done mine and Lavy's Family tree In cross stitch There are 5 generations on they are in frames on the wall :idea: :idea:
gwen

Postby grangers14 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:56 pm

Is there anything else to add to this? If not it will be archived 24hrs.
Jo :)
grangers14

Re: *TBC To be Archived 24hrs*Printing your family tree

Postby Northern Lass » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:02 pm

Can be archived
Northern Lass

Return to Archived General Discussion