Cecil Warwick Sibley

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Cecil Warwick Sibley

Postby Winchester50 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:21 am

Hi I am trying to find out some military information in regards to my dad, for my genealogy research. I have quite a few gaps of his younger days. He was born in 1908 and he died in 1974, so unfortunately I have no one to ask about it. All I know is that he joined the Royal Navy around the mid 1920's his base was Chatham Dockyard, Kent and I believe left in mid to late 1930's. Then I believe in 1943 he joined the Royal Engineers, I do know that he was a driver with the RE until the end of the 2nd World War. I live in Australia now so am unable to look up any records in person, and would be grateful if anyone has any ideas.

Many thanks
Winchester50

Re: Cecil Warwick Sibley

Postby MarkCDodd » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:59 pm

WW2 records are sealed in England.

You have to apply for them via the particualr armed service.

A fee is involved and you have no guarantee of getting anything like the detailed records we have in Australia.
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby Winchester50 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:56 am

Hi Mark

Thanks for that, I did try the Royal Navy, but they wanted 30 pounds sterling with no guarantee that I would get the info required. I haven't yet tried the Royal Engineers site, but imagine I will get the same response.

Anyway thanks for replying.
Winchester50

Postby Antie Em » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:45 am

You could try the National Archives at Kew - here : http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

I found my granddads army records here a few years ago, but I went there myself. I think their charges are well in excess of £30.00 though. You could try contacting a professional researcher who will look for you.

Good Luck - Maggie
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Return to Archived Topics