invalid battalion 1861

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Re: invalid battalion 1861

Postby MarkCDodd » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:38 am

It is called the "Marine Register".

Description "The General Register Office's Marine Registers record deaths at sea on ships registered in Great Britain or Ireland from 1 July 1837"

On Page 9 of the register for 1860-1865 is the index reference for a William Brad. The index reference is Page 130.

(This means he died anywhere from 1860 to 1865, whcih means it is even more likely to be him...)

It is truncated to Wm. Brad.

I am more than happy to send you a copy of the Index page.

Just PM me.
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby prairie_princess » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:52 pm

Again I tried to order the D/C for a second time and was told that no file exists... I even quoted Mark's post! Anyways am trying again as a general search instead of a specific death a sea.

Can anyone tell me the LDS file for The General Register Office's Marine Registers record deaths at sea on ships registered in Great Britain or Ireland from 1 July 1837?

Thank goodness GRO refunds the whole amount paid for searches!

Will keep you all posted.
prairie_princess

Postby MarkCDodd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:51 am

LDS would not cover this.

I suggest you e-mail the register page and then let them tell you it doesn't exist!!!

Just PM your e-mail address and I will send you the page...

I have never had difficulty ordering from this register.
MarkCDodd

Postby prairie_princess » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:53 pm

Mark, Thank you for sending the pages you found. I am trying again to order them online but am concerned that they read BIRD and not BRAD, may be this is why the(GRO) can never find anything? I also recently tried a general search for a death certificate on William Brad that came back refunded no documents?

Question: If the White Eagle (assuming this is in fact a ship) could the ship have been registered in India and all deaths at sea also registered in India from that ship? If the GRO can not find a death certificate is it possible that some deaths were registered else where? Who would I contact for a search in India?

Any thoughts?
prairie_princess

Postby MarkCDodd » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:44 am

FIBIS would be a good starting point.

If he registered as crew (a lot of people did this to pay their fare) then there are crew agreement databases you can look at.

Some of these links might be worth looking at...

http://genealogy.about.com/od/india/India.htm
MarkCDodd

Postby prairie_princess » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:50 am

Hello all,

As some of you know my search for William after his release from the Bengal Army in 1862 has been frustrating at the best of times. I hit one road block after another and eventually came to the conclusion that William was never meant to be found.

After months of putting William to rest it appears that I was wrong, William did not die shortly after his release but actually re-married having more children living a long and prosperous life in England where he died at the ripe old age of 66.

About a month ago I was contacted through the forum by a descendant of Williams who believed that my William and his are one in the same! After many emails back and forth and swapping what information we had there is little doubt that we have been researching the same man.

Here what I believed happened to William after 1862:

William returned to England as an army pensioner and worked as an attendant at the lunatic asylum in Warwick County. William marries a widow Amelia Jackson sometime prior the birth of their first child in 1870. We have found no records of this union (marriage) and here's why I believe there are no records. I believe that Amelia is Williams’s niece, the eldest child of his brother Henry and Elizabeth.

Here’s why:

In the 1851 census is a listing for Henry Brad (Head), Elizabeth Brad (Wife), Amelia Brad (daughter) and Mary Ann Brad (daughter). The 1841 census also lists these four living together.

Amelia marries Thomas Jackson and is listed in the 1861 Census as Amelia (Jackson) wife, Thomas Jackson senior (Head), and children Henry Jackson and George Jackson (who may have died). At the same address (36 Brunswick Street) but listed in a separate household is Henry Brad (head), Elizabeth Brad (Wife) and Mary Ann Brad (Daughter).

The 1871 Census has no listing for a Thomas and Amelia but does have a William Brad (Head), Amelia Brad (Wife), Arthur Brad (Son), Henry Jackson (Step-son) and Thomas Jackson (Step-son).

William dies in 1884 and the death certificate lists Thomas Jackson (step-son) as present at the time of death.

Because we can’t find any supporting documents we are only guessing, we have linked William to Amelia through the census records only; no marriage license has been found but that may be due to the relation? Williams death certificate is the only real documented proof we have connecting the Jacksons to William.
Would love to hear your thoughts on how to confirm this theory or if you think am grasping at straws? It has been another great adventure with William, we were able to match my documents to the war medals they have from Williams’s 20 yrs of service with the Bengal army and pictures were exchanged…… Amazing!
I would love to hear your thoughts on this latest turn of events, I’ll keep you all posted as I learn more on William and his past.

Prairie_princess
prairie_princess

Postby MarkCDodd » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:08 am

Up until the 20th Century, forbidden marriages in Church Of England parishes were determined by the original 16th century "Table Of Kindred and Affinity".

This has been changed a couple of times in the 20th century, the last being in 1949 I think....

Google it and have a look. (There are some simplified versions of the original which are easier to read).

This is quite a good site.

http://www.genetic-genealogy.co.uk/Toc115570145.html#Toc115570255

He would not have been allowed to marry his niece.

I have plenty of 1st cousin marriages and I thought that would be banned in the updated tables but no...it is not mentioned :shock:

There is also a table of genetic risk but I couldn't recall where I saw that one.

The most common reason for not finding a marriage is that divorce was very ahrd to obtain and very expensive.

So a lot of people lived as Man/Wife without ever getting married.

Some get married after living as man and wife for many years and they learn their first husband/wife has died, thus removing the need for divorce. So sometimes it is worth searching across all years rather than just before they appear in the census together.

Some risk the bigamy laws and marry without a divorce. Rarely do I see them do this in the same parish as their first marriage so it is worth looking all over the country.
MarkCDodd

Previous

Return to Archived Topics