Trying to find regiment of Grandfather

Archived and completed military topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Trying to find regiment of Grandfather

Postby rahish » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:44 am

I have drawn a blank on how to find the regiment my Granddad served in. I have his army number and I know he was in the Intell Corps but I am not sure this is his regiment. He was a Sergeant Major and mentioned in Despatches but a lookup of the London Gazette archive returns no results.

Any ideas?
rahish

Re: Trying to find regiment of Grandfather

Postby Alec » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:12 am

:) Hi Rahish

You probably know by now the National Archives http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ is a good place to look.

I'm surprised Admin or someone didn't tell you this 2 years ago. if you're still a member! -IF! -please reply :D Alec
Last edited by Alec on Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alec

Forums need to be visited regularly and should be living things full of lively members not absent strangers!
Alec

Postby rahish » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:02 pm

Thanks for the reply,

I have to admit I totally forgot about this forum as it seems noone seemed to answer the post.

I will try the national archives but I think I will need to write a letter to the headquarters in Glasgow.

Thanks again.
rahish

Postby Alec » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:01 pm

I have to admit I totally forgot about this forum as it seems noone seemed to answer the post.

Hi Rahish

You're welcome

I'm new here and can see how forgetable it is but it is a two-way thing.

It needs everyone to keep returning and view each other's queries to help where they can as well as being helped :D Alec
Alec

Forums need to be visited regularly and should be living things full of lively members not absent strangers!
Alec

Postby Rondeb43 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:40 pm

Hi Rahish,

If you submit his full name and year of birth I will look for any details I can

Regards

Ron
Rondeb43

Postby rahish » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:06 pm

Thanks very much Ron,

He was called Edward Albert Roberts born in 1907, Essex area not sure where but family from Colchester I think. Let me know if you want any more info. I expect I can get it.

R
rahish

Postby Rondeb43 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:39 pm

Hi Rahish,

I think that your best bet is to contact the Ministry of defence to obtain his service record. You can do this from the following link.

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_rec ... rds.html#2

This is an extract from their website as above.

Records of Deceased personnel
Enquirers must provide the consent of the Next of Kin and unless the person died in Service, proof of death. A charge may be made for enquiries. Prior to 1972 all Royal Navy personnel were given their service record when they were discharged. For pension purposes the Royal Navy retained pay details. Therefore the only data held on Royal Navy personnel who served prior to 1972 is their Service details (number, rank, name etc) and a list of dates and ships/shore bases.

Certificate of Kinship
Information from the personal record of a deceased Ex-serviceman/woman can be released only with the consent of the official Next of Kin. The form aims to identify whose consent is required and the data you provide will be used only in connection with your enquiry. The form is retained for 2 years should you have subsequent queries. To download the Certificate of Kinship form for the Army, please click here.
For the Royal Navy, please click here.

Where do I send my SAR form?
Personnel records are stored at archives and repositories throughout the UK. Additionally there are also Subject Access Request Co-ordinators for each Service. You must send the completed SAR form to the relevant address.

Sorry I cant be of any more help.

Regards

Ron
Rondeb43

Postby Katie » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:57 pm

Hi

Your grandfather would have the rank of WO1 or WO2. Sergeant Major is a "job title".

WO = Warrant Officer Class 1 / 2

WO1 = Regimental Sergeant Major
WO2 = Company Sergeant Major

May help a little bit?
Katie

Postby The Beerhunter » Tue May 20, 2008 10:45 am

Not sure what you mean by trying to find his regiment. The I Corps (nickname for the Intelligence Corps) is his regiment effectively. All soldiers belong to a Regiment (Cavalry and Infantry generally) or a Corps. For example: The Princess of Wales Royal Regiment (an Infantry Regiment), The Corps of Royal Engineers (a Corps). The exception is the Royal Regiment of Artillery which is actually a Corps.
The Beerhunter

Postby rahish » Wed May 21, 2008 12:32 pm

Thanks for that,

I think my best bet is to contact the ministry of defence as in the previous reply and see what records I can get hold of, unfortunately I am not the next of kin, my mother is so I will have to wait for her to do this on my behalf.

Thanks all the same.
rahish

Return to Archived Topics