Do you like Music?

A place for general and off-topic chat amongst researchers. Please ensure that all posts remain suitable for a family audience.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Do you like Music?

Postby BC Wench » Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:38 pm

I'm here transcribing parish registers for FreeREG with my music on, listening to one of my Walker Brothers cd's "No Regrets" dated 1976. I saw them live at the Dudley Hippodrome back in the day. Then, as you do, I thought, I saw Roy Orbison and Gene Pitney there as well.

Saw quite a few pop stars at local venues in the Black Country. Brian Poole & The Tremeloes, The Zombies at Dudley Technical College. Old Hill Plaza was the place to go on a Saturday night with the Bee Gees, The Merseys, The Move, Status Quo, The Turtles etc. etc. Never did see the Beatles or The Hollies anywhere back then though. Not forgetting Wolverhampton's group the Slade at Dudley Zoo & Castle on a Sunday night.

Four of us senior school girls went to stand outside the old Queen's Picture House/Ballroom in Wolverhampton on a school day so that we could buy tickets to see the forthcoming Cliff Richard live show. The whole school knew when we got back at lunch time and you know what, none of us got into any trouble missing the mornings lessons :o

Anybody else ever go to these Black Country venues?
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Re: Do you like Music?

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:51 pm

Just seen this post Barb. I went to all the places you mentioned. An Oldbury Lad without means of transport would likely stay within walking distance in the mid 60's. Probably the first band I came into contact with "The Mark Five". They would play at Albright Youth Club probably every other week on a Friday and during the week at the Albright and Wilson social Club in Tat Bank, Oldbury. The drummer Mac Poole later went on to join Warhorse and one of the guitarists Mick Pollard joined Velvett Fogg.
Other venues around the area were Tube Products and Chances Social Clubs where we could listen to Syrius and The Planets, Kenny Lane and The Bluetones. The guitarist lived on the Cakemore Estate and had polio as a child. The New Cyclones from around the Whiteheath area played Albright Youth Club as well. They appeared on "For Teenagers Only" once. I think the compere was Brian Gulliver.
As I grew older we would venture further afield to The Wagon and Horses, Wall Heath. The Californians and Sight & Sound at a pub on the Wolverhampton road, The Staffordshire Knot? The Montanas would play there as well. The Uglys at Langley Baths. Spencer Davis at The Morgue (Kings Head Bearwood) on a friday night just before Keep On Running. The Move at Old Hill Plaza on a Monday night. I haven't mentioned the top American and British artistes we would see at The Plaza. Bee Gees ,Turtles Edwin Starr and many more.
Nautical William (is that still there?) Tommy Burton Combo would be playing.We would also go to the Adelphi West Bromwich and listen to Barmy Barry playing the records. The Bolero Club Wednesbury (the Drifters "Down At The Club") Tower Ballroom Edgbaston. The Locarno in Brum (Herb Alpert's Spanish Flea will forever stick in my mind!) Smethwick baths Thimbermill. The Hen & Chicks on the Wolverhampton Road, The Black Horse Kidderminster, Mare and Colts (god knows where - I think Kidderminster area. I used to just get in the car and be driven to these places). Droitwich Winter Gardens, Malvern Winter Gardens, Hartelebury Village Church hall! Everywhere there would be bands playing. Great times!
Rob

Postby rockyfowler » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:43 pm

I love Jungle book this is an updated version on you yube :P https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi2_2ogPMvo
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby BC Wench » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:07 pm

There was a group The Californians that used to perform at what was the Labour Club in New Street, Dudley just below the Police Station which was really really small I've got a record of theirs "Early Morning Sun", but it's not the group who I can see on the internet. There was a chappie (Chris?) who worked in the garage at M & W Grazebrook who had something to do with this particular group. Chris? lived in Myrtle Road, Priory Estate and used to give me a lift back home in his sports car if ever he saw me racing up Peartree Lane - ahhh!! heaven, but just had to be careful getting in the car with me wearing my mini clothes :lol:

Adelphi West Brom of course, oh and the Tower Ballroom Edgbaston and Locarno Birmingham and the disco above the ice skating rink in Birmingham which was really cooool.
BC Wench

Postby BC Wench » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:09 pm

:lol: :lol: Nice one rockyfowler.
BC Wench

Postby grangers14 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:12 pm

rockyfowler wrote:I love Jungle book this is an updated version on you yube :P https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi2_2ogPMvo

RF that is so funny! :lol:
grangers14

Postby grangers14 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:14 pm

I love music!
We often go to singers and groups where we live, day time gigs!
Too tired for evening ones! :oops:
grangers14

Postby mallosa » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:20 pm

grangers14 wrote:I love music!
We often go to singers and groups where we live, day time gigs!
Too tired for evening ones! :oops:

Yes we've been to a few of them
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby mallosa » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:36 pm

We love music too!

We're off to See Eric Clapton in May, can't wait :clap:
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby rockyfowler » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:31 am

Nice to listen to the old shadows records this version always cheers me up :grin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akQ8t8P ... rt_radio=1
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby mallosa » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:18 am

rockyfowler wrote:Nice to listen to the old shadows records this version always cheers me up :grin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akQ8t8P ... rt_radio=1

She's not bad is she?

Nice one RF! :thumbup:

mallosa

Postby Rob » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:52 pm

:o What's wrong with the fella's mouth !!!
Rob

Postby rockyfowler » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:03 pm

He`s got a permanent Smile! you would with such a nice wife :-P https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4sD2-N ... 20&index=7
rockyfowler

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:38 am

Rob wrote::o What's wrong with the fella's mouth !!!

:lol: :lol:
Northern Lass

Postby rockyfowler » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:55 am

Here he is dancing with his wife with all the band https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIsEDxq ... Tw&index=6 :-P
rockyfowler

Next

Return to The Snug