Respect for the Law!!!!!!!!!!

A place for general and off-topic chat amongst researchers. Please ensure that all posts remain suitable for a family audience.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Respect for the Law!!!!!!!!!!

Postby sparkstopper » Wed May 13, 2015 11:11 am

Respect for the Law has not changed in 150 years:
At the Police Court, on Friday, before Messrs: B.Littlewood & J.B.Cochrane. Jeremiah GARRATT, Thomas GARRATT and Henry William EATON of Cradley; were charged with assault on P.C.Hyde, and Thomas GARRATT was also charged with furious driving. Hyde was at Oldswinford on the night of the 18th., when defendants came up in a trap, the horse in which was being whipped and driven at a furious rate. Hyde stopped the trap to ascertain who was in it, and the defendants commenced a violent attack on him, and he was struck with a board and a whip. The Bench fined the defendants 20s. and costs, or a month in default, for the assault: and Thomas GARRATT 1s. and costs, or seven days in default for the furious driving.

Thomas was my Gt/Grandfather!!!!

http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/fa ... att-Family
Last edited by sparkstopper on Wed May 13, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Semper Paratus:
sparkstopper

Re: Respect for the Law!!!!!!!!!!

Postby mallosa » Wed May 13, 2015 12:07 pm

:-o Oh how I wish I had someone like that in my tree Sparks :lol:
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby sparkstopper » Wed May 13, 2015 2:33 pm

Horse Fire Engine.jpg
Horse Fire Engine.jpg (69.8 KiB) Viewed 1391 times

It's in the 'Genes'!!!!!!!!!!!
Semper Paratus:
sparkstopper

Postby mallosa » Wed May 13, 2015 6:48 pm

...but of course!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby BC Wench » Thu May 14, 2015 3:34 pm

I wonder how many mph they were doing. I would love some juicy story like that in my family tree.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby 18chestnut » Mon May 18, 2015 9:49 am

At the Worcester Quarter Sessions in June 1851, my Great Great Grandmother Mary Ann Dimmock and her daughter Ann Tucker(nee NANCY Dimmock) were sentenced to be transported to Van Diemans land.
They had stolen a bolt of cloth, but both of them had previous convictions for theft, hence the sentence.
Ann Tucker and Mary Ann Dimmock both went on to remarry and lived blameless lives.
Apparently the Dimmock family were well known to the police in Netherton and Dudley.
Ann Tucker took with her ,her young son William,she left behind 2 other children.
The descendant of William is coming to the West Midlands in July and I will be taking her around Netherton and Dudley..
Pat
18chestnut

Postby sparkstopper » Wed May 20, 2015 5:36 pm

I think the DIMMOCKS & GARRATTS were friends!???????? Possibly:

Marriage:
12 April 1897 Old Hill Holy Trinity
Samuel WESTON. 22.bach: chainmaker, Cherry Orchard.
John Weston(Chainmaker).
Martha GARRATT. 22. spinster. Reddal Hill
Thomas Garratt(Chainmaker).
banns
both signed
Wit- Samuel Dimmock/ Mary Ann Dimmock
Semper Paratus:
sparkstopper

Postby 18chestnut » Thu May 21, 2015 8:09 pm

My great great grandfather Samuel Dimmock died in 1858, his wife Mary Ann Dimmock the one that was transported ,died in Hobart Tasmania in 1885.
The couple who were witnesses at the Garret wedding could have been their grandchildren I suppose .Children of their son ,also Samuel born in 1834.
I have never found out what happened to him.although he was sentenced to 2 weeks in prison and was whipped for stealing a DUCK in 1845.
18chestnut

Return to The Snug