G'day from WA - Brick Wall with Whitaker

Archived content from closed or older discussion threads.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

G'day from WA - Brick Wall with Whitaker

Postby andrewwg » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:07 am

G'day All GFUK Users

Have only just found this forum and still trying to work out why I haven't joined before!!?? :?

My wife and I are 3rd or 4th generation Aussies with our main families (GRUBB, COLLINS, TREVORROW, MITCHELL) all arriving into Melbourne (GRUBB, TREVORROW & MITCHELL) or Adelaide (COLLINS) from the UK c1850-1870.

Apart from our Irish connections (would welcome any hints on researching Irish ancestry) we have managed to take most of our ancestry back to pre-1800 mostly with the help of Census records and other researchers.

I am happy to be contacted by any researchers interested in the families above/below and particularly the Aussie descendents of same. We are fortunate to have reasonably good - excellent photographic record and almost complete Certificate coverage for our main families.

I've provided the full families list below to assist as many many as I can. Happy to freely share whatever information may be of interest.

I have hit a brick wall with the WHITAKER connection on the COLLINS branch.

On 28 Oct 1838, at the Parish Church, Paddington, Charles John Collins (1819-1881) married Hannah Charlotte Whitaker (1820-1886).
Charles was a Tailor and a later a CofE Minister.

In 1841 the family was residing in Upper St Martin's Lane, St Anne's Soho, Westminster.

The family set sail from Plymouth on board Brightman on 23 Aug 1849, arriving in Adelaide on 5 Jan 1850. One son, George Cowley Reid COLLINS, was born during the journey. The family moved on to Victoria c1854.

We know (Marriage Certificate) that Hannah Charlotte WHITAKER's father was Edward WHITAKER, Veterinary Surgeon.

We also understand (Family Search) that Hannah Charlotte WHITAKER was baptised at Old Church St Pancras on 6 April 1835. Her parents are shown as Edward Clarke WHITAKER & Hannah.

Hannah's Death Certificate describes her father as being a "Gentleman".

We have been unable to expand the Whitaker branch beyond this basic knowledge and would welcome any assistance.

FAMILIES LIST AS FOLLOWS:

England:
ATTWOOD (Kent), BEER (Weymouth), BLOUNT (Uppingham), BOOTHROYD (Doncaster), BROWNE (Burrough on Hill), BURNABY (Hungarton), CANFIELD (Hertfordshire), CLAYTON (Winchester), COGESHALL (Rhode Is USA), COLLINS (Chichester), COOMBES (Stepney), DEER (Melcolm-Regis), DEER (Middlesex), DODGE (Weymouth), DYER (St Botolph), FIELD (Hertfordshire), FISHER (Rochford), GREEN (Westminster, GRUBB (London), HART (Stepney), HEARN (Lynn), HOLGATE (Norfolk), KNAPP (Little Linford), LAMBERT (Norfolk), LASH (Harwich), LAWRY (St Ives), LIDINGTON (Syersham), MITCHELL (Walthamstow), MONKHOUSE (Gateshead), NICHOLLS (London), PHILPOTT (Middlesex), QUAINTRELL (Middlesex), THORPE (uppingham), TREVORROW (Ludgvan), WARDALE (Lynn), WILKINSON (Doncaster)

Ireland:
BURNS (co Tyrone), EWINGS (co Armagh), GALAGHER, McELLROY, McGEIGH, NOLAN (co Tipperary), O'CONNOR (co Antrim), PENTLAND(co Armagh), RAHILLY (co Limmerick), THOMPSON (co Tyrone).
andrewwg

Re: G'day from WA - Brick Wall with Whitaker

Postby SRD » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:13 am

Welcome to the forum. We like to keep this area for simple introductions so I have copied your post, and Jimmy's replies, to the General Discussion section where it should generate more traffic.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby snoopysue » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:33 am

Hi Andrew
Welcome to the forum :-)
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:59 am

Welcome to the forum :grin:
Northern Lass

Postby mallosa » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:37 pm

Hiya Andrew & welcome!
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby peterd » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:55 pm

Hi Andrew Welcome to the forum
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby Maths girl » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:46 pm

Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum

Maths girl
Maths girl

Postby grangers14 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:39 am

Hi Andrew,
I hope you enjoy the forum and our company.
Jo :)
grangers14

Return to The Archive