Hello from Blackpool

Archived content from closed or older discussion threads.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Hello from Blackpool

Postby carolknight » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:13 pm

Hi All, I'm Carol and I am compiling my family tree, the Sidaway family from Cradley Heath, Rowley Regis. My great grandmother was Jane Sidaway allegedly married to Benjamin Sidaway, what I am looking for is other family members that might have photos. I have lots of photos of Fred Sidaway b. 1890, hope to hear from someone soon, take care everyone
carolknight

Re: Hello from Blackpool

Postby mallosa » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:22 pm

Hi Carol, welcome to the forum :thumbup:
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby Northern Lass » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:49 am

Hi and Welcome :grin:
Northern Lass

Postby SRD » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:58 am

Welcome to the forum.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby mjay » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi & welcome :thumbup:
Researching: Yates,Hunt,Brookes,Artess,Sheldon,Thornton,Hooper,Crowley,Lacy,Downes,Weaver,Artess
mjay

Postby peterd » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:34 pm

Hi Carol. welcome to the forum
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby Maths girl » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:50 pm

Hi Carol and welcome to the forum.

Maths girl
Maths girl

Postby snoopysue » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:52 pm

Hi Carol
Welcome to the forum :-)
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby Frodo » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:43 pm

I have an album belonging to my Great Grandfather, Nathan Taylor containing quite a few photos of people who appear to be acquaintances rather than family - it includes a photo of an Agnes Sidaway taken at Lalonde, 2092 St Catherine Street,Corner Bleury - wonder if there is a connection?

PS I am a Sangronian although it is 48 years since I lived in Blackpool and my ancestors are all from around Birmingham and Northamptonshire.
Frodo

Postby grangers14 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:56 pm

Hello Carol,
I hope you enjoy the forum and our company.
Jo :)
grangers14

Postby dsidaway » Wed May 20, 2015 11:54 pm

Frodo wrote:I have an album belonging to my Great Grandfather, Nathan Taylor containing quite a few photos of people who appear to be acquaintances rather than family - it includes a photo of an Agnes Sidaway taken at Lalonde, 2092 St Catherine Street,Corner Bleury - wonder if there is a connection?

I can't help you with your immediate query but as a Montrealer, the location of your photo of Agnes Sidaway stands out as a bit off.

1st: Lalonde, a common francophone family name, I think should probably read LaRonde, an amusement park. LaRonde was built for Expo '67 and continues to run. The park is located on Ile Ste-Helene and would be a great place for family photos to be taken.

2nd: Bleury St does cross Ste-Catherine Street West but the number is way off. Bleury is 4 blocks west of Blvd St-Laurent which is the east-west divider for Ste-Catherine Street. A number of 292 Bleury St would be more likely because Bleury isn't the cross street for the address 2092 Ste-Catherine St W. Also, as a news photographer, Bleury and Ste-Catherine doesn't strike me as a typical place for a photo unless Agnes was taking part in a demonstration but never say never.

Anyway, just a little info that may or may not help out.

Dave Sidaway
dsidaway

Postby Frodo » Thu May 21, 2015 7:42 am

I have looked again at the photo - the name is in capitals - LALONDE. My Great Grandfather Nathan Taylor wrote a small autobiography in which he says he went across the Atlantic from Liverpool with his wife Lucretia in September 1860 and arrived in Quebec on 18th September - he then rode to Montreal and then Toronto and eventually ended up in the Detroit region of America. He stayed in America for roughly five years, came back to Birmingham then returned in 1870 with his wife Lucretia and niece Martha Manger - they sailed from Liverpool to New York and went to Pittsburg then Washington/Baltimore so presumably the photo was taken at the start of the 1860 trip. My Great Grandfather's photo album does have a number of photos of people I don't know which were taken in America - presumably friends and acquaintances he made during his trips.
Frodo

Postby mallosa » Fri May 22, 2015 2:22 pm

see here - gallery/album.php?album_id=52

Sorry SRD :-)
Last edited by mallosa on Sat May 23, 2015 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby SRD » Sat May 23, 2015 6:59 am

This is beginning to look like it's more than just an introduction. If it carries on I'll have to slap some wrists...
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Return to The Archive