Hello - new member here.

Archived content from closed or older discussion threads.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Hello - new member here.

Postby Kelly80 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:11 am

Hello, I'm Kelly and I was introduced to this forum by Carol (another forum member).

I've been researching my family history on and off for the last 8 years. I currently have a tree holding 822 names with the oldest name in the tree going back to 1270c. I've tended to go up with my tree rather than out, as you can get a bit bogged down and carried away with cousins, second cousins etc and the tree expands out of control!

My maiden name is Channon and I've researched this surname back as far as Thomas Channon, father of Nicholas Channon (b.1773c), from Honiton Devon. I'm now stuck as I've run out of online records to trace any more information on Thomas and his wife Jane.

My mothers maiden name is Doubtfire, which is a nice unusual name to research (or at least until the film was released, you know the one I mean!). However, I've found it a real challenge to locate census returns for this branch of the family. Possibly due to the fact that branch of the family was very poor (living in Shoreditch) and illiterate, so potentially their names are spelt differently or incorrectly on the census returns? I've only traced the family here back to Richard Doubtfire (b.1821c St Lukes Middlesex) and his wife Sarah Earl (b.1831c Shoreditch). I have no further information on either of them or their ancestors. So very interested to hear from anyone who could shed light on where the Doubtfire's came from. It's a mystery to us. When the website that a university did plotting surname concentration from census returns in certain areas was released a few years back (I'm sorry I forget the link). It showed that the surname Doubtfire only appeared in London and Lincolnshire in 1901 and only in small numbers, in 1881 there were even fewer Doubtfire families and still only in those two areas. That leads me to think that the surname isn't of British origin (or they just didn't travel much!).

Anyway, I'm looking to expand my tree as far back as I can and uncover more details on my Channon and Doubtfire lines.
I also have a vested interest in the surnames Clarke, Challis, Roylance, King, Moxley, Davis and Cox for my family.

My husband has the surname Perryman, and he knows very little about his fathers family history as his grandparents died before he was born. So this is also an area of interest to us.
Kelly80

Re: Hello - new member here.

Postby Maths girl » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:52 am

Hi Kelly and welcome to the forum

Maths girl
Maths girl

Postby peterd » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:35 am

Hi Kelly, welcome to the forum
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby snoopysue » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:51 pm

Hi Kelly
Welcome to the forum :-)

I haven't gone to far out sideways on my family either, but I do tend to check the siblings of my ancestors and even their children, as occaisionally this helps me go further back on the main line. So if you have a brick wall, this may help ypu solve it. Sometimes I've come across some very interesting stories through the side lines, which is always nice.
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby grangers14 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:57 pm

Hi Kelly,
I hope you enjoy the forum and our company.
Jo XX
grangers14

Postby mallosa » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:24 pm

Hi Kelly and welcome to the forum :wave:
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby SRD » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:43 am

Welcome to the forum.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:52 am

Welcome any friend of Carols is a friend of ours! :wink:
Northern Lass

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:08 pm

Hi Kelly. Carol? Carol from Poole? :?
Rob

Postby Kelly80 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:00 pm

Rob wrote:Hi Kelly. Carol? Carol from Poole? :?

Yep. Carol from Poole.
Kelly80

Return to The Archive