ARC TBC Finding a birth certificate

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

ARC TBC Finding a birth certificate

Postby Vic » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:52 am

Is it possible to search for a 1903 birth record using only a DOB and a mother’s name?

In the main for my 88 year-old mother-in-law’s peace of mind, but also for completeness of my family tree, I am trying to trace what happened to her father in the first 9 years of his life. Known as John (Jack) Walker (1903-1970), he believed he was born on 22nd January 1903 in Maidstone, Kent, but was never able to obtain a birth certificate or passport as his name at birth was unknown to him because his own mother would not give him any information relating to his birth.

John’s mother’s name was Fanny Bonny (1878-1960) but I have found no suitable birth record for a John Bonny around 1903. The surname Walker that he adopted was that of his stepfather Frederick Samuel James Walker (1883-1917), whom his mother married in 1912 in Gillingham, Kent. No suitable birth record for a John Walker can be identified, either. I have, however, found the birth certificate and 1911 Census entry of another illegitimate son of Fanny’s, named Guy Bonny, who was born in 1910 in Maidstone (no father recorded), so it seems unlikely that Frederick Walker was the father of either of the boys, although both did later take his surname after his marriage to their mother.

Is it possible to search for John’s birth record using the only two pieces of information available – his birthday and his mother’s name? If only he had been born after 1913 so that an online search by mother’s name was possible! Is there any hope or is this really a brick wall?
Vic

Re: Finding a birth certificate

Postby grangers14 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:10 pm

Oh difficult... :?
I think t was around September quarter 1911 when birth registration gave mothers maiden name.

May not be right but Bonny be spelt like this?

Births Dec 1902
Bonney John Fylde 8e 610
Bottomley John Edward Hackney 1b 499
Bottomley John George Auckland 10a 217
Bottomley John William Saddleworth 9a 237
Boundy John William Pontypridd 11a 574
Bowey John George Houghton 10a 550
grangers14

Postby SRD » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:38 am

You've probably tried all these but
Have you charted Fanny's tree as the child may have been with relations, usually grandparents in 1911.
Or possibly in the workhouse.
Was the child likely to have been baptised? There are all sorts of Parish Records at Medway's City Ark resources
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby rockyfowler » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:37 am

These people will have the cert but it may cost for them to search http://www.kent.gov.uk/births-ceremonie ... tificates# Regards RF
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby BC Wench » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:42 am

Is this still a Brickwall, or have you solved it?

Unless otherwise advised this will be moved to the Brickwalls Archived section
within 24 hours
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts