ARC TBC Searching a propertys' History

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

ARC TBC Searching a propertys' History

Postby RichardKendall84 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:12 pm

Hey all, hope everyone is ok! I've not been on in a while as I've had a bit of a break from family history for a little bit :-).
I am proper stuck at the moment regarding a property that was built in 1853. The house is on modern day Stubbs Road in Pennfields, Wolverhampton. I have seen the deeds, and the house was known as "Sutherland", " Sutherland House" and "Northgate". I am currently trying to trace the history of the house for the mother-in-law of who lived there, as the owners never actually lived there it would seem?. When the house was being renovated in the 1980s, the Father in law found pulley systems for servant bells, and a copper well buried in the floor in what was the kitchen. If anyone can please shed any light from census records, I'm all eyes and ears, as I can't find a scrap of information from census records. I know Stubbs Road was formerly Stubbs Lane, and that it was once all fields out the front of the house. There used to be a photograph of the house which was water damaged, from the 1900s, which showed this, and also a tram line or trolley bus outside. Rich
Si vis pacem, para bellum
RichardKendall84

Re: Searching a propertys' History

Postby BC Wench » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:15 pm

Have you seen the following from the Black Country History web page?

http://blackcountryhistory.org/collecti ... cba=Search Hope the link works.

The first article mentions a Daniel Mayo of Sutherland House, Penn, Gentleman.

On the second article “Sales Material” click on Sales Material and it gives:-

Mrs Frantz; Sutherland House, Stubbs Road, Penn Fields;

This could be the same family:-

On the 1911 census there’s a Gladys Lambert Frantz (transcribed as FRANK) who is single living at Stockwell End, Wolverhampton.

On the 1901 census Gladys is living with her parents Charles A. & Emma B Frantz, Charles being a Hardware Factor. Charles is on other census as well.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby RichardKendall84 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:03 pm

Thanks Wench. I've found that the house was turned into 3 flats in 1949 from that site too, so thanks for the pointer. I still can't find any occupants through the census records though :-(
Si vis pacem, para bellum
RichardKendall84

Postby BC Wench » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:39 pm

Is this still a Brickwall, or have you solved it?

Unless otherwise advised this will be moved to the Brickwalls Archived section
within 24 hours
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts