ARC TBC - New Brick Wall - passenger lists for Walsh family

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

ARC TBC - New Brick Wall - passenger lists for Walsh family

Postby YorksClare » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:32 pm

Hi All.

I first got interested in genealogy when I found a book of Grandma's research into our family. So when my Team Leader at work started doing his own research on Find My Past and showed me a passenger list showing my great-grandma Walsh taking her two small boys with her to America - from India, no less! - I wanted to search some more.

Now I found that Ancestry was more economical for searching and pretty comprehensive. However, try as I might I haven't been able to find the same passenger list with my family on it. I now wonder if Find My Past has better travel archives than Ancestry, but I don't fancy taking out another subscription for one record!

Please could someone see if they know why I cannot find these people?

There should be Elizabeth Walsh, b. 1866 in Tralee in Ireland, and her two sons William Walter, b. 1891, and Henry Eric, b. 1895. They went from India to America sometimes in 1895 or 1896, and then returned to Cork in Ireland around 1896.

The story behind it is that Elizabeth had already lost two little boys in infancy, and didn't want Henry to die due to the harsh weather in Cawnpore (which was making her ill as well). Instead, knowing that her father and brother were somewhere in the New York/Manhattan area, she took her precious boys there, leaving G-Grandad in his clerk's job in the British Army in India. They ended up in Cork seemingly when G-Grandad James Walsh was re-posted, and they had two little girls in Cork. Winnie was born there in 1897. So the timing of the American visit is quite tight.

All assistance much appreciated!
YorksClare

Re: New Brick Wall - passenger lists for Walsh family

Postby gardener » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:22 pm

Hi
I have an email from FMP saying that there is free access this weekend so perhaps you could try that?
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Re: New Brick Wall - passenger lists for Walsh family

Postby BC Wench » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:19 am

Is this still a Brickwall, or have you solved it?

Unless otherwise advised this will be moved to the Brickwalls Archived section
within 24 hours
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts