Puzzing DNA origins results on Ancestry

Discussion of DNA research techniques and web sites. Please do not post DNA data relating to individuals.

Moderators: grangers14, admin

Puzzing DNA origins results on Ancestry

Postby garrypaulbrooks » Thu May 02, 2024 12:40 pm

Hi

MY DNA results suggest that my lot mostly originate form East Anglia - see "DNA ALL" attachment.

If I click on "Maternal", I get an identical map; if I click on "Paternal", however, I get nothing -see 2nd attachment. This makes no sense to me.

BTW my father's grandfather's family come from North Essex, part of East Anglia.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Attachments
DNA Paternal.JPG
DNA Paternal.JPG (57.08 KiB) Viewed 172 times
DNa ALL.JPG
DNa ALL.JPG (76.06 KiB) Viewed 172 times
garrypaulbrooks

Re: Puzzing DNA origins results on Ancestry

Postby peterd » Fri May 03, 2024 8:22 pm

i'm assuming you are the only person who had the Autosomal test done? they can use the 23 chromosome ie the X to differentiate your maternal line from your paternal line maybe this is what ancestry is using to map out your mother family location, if your parents are still with you it may be advantages to get them all DNA tested when the offers come along, as it easier to work out who comes from what branch of the family, make live easier, try down loading your DNA and up loading it to My heritage and Gedmatch.com might give you a wider choice of results
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby garrypaulbrooks » Sat May 04, 2024 1:36 pm

My old folk are long gone, I'm afraid, although my brother and sister are still with us. Would there be any point in getting one of them to do a DNA test too?

Good idea on trying another couple of services.
garrypaulbrooks

Postby peterd » Sat May 04, 2024 4:06 pm

you might be better of getting a cousin from your dad side and your mum side if they would do it, as then you can at least figure out which side of the family your DNA matches are, depending which cousin matched them with you
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Return to DNA Research