19th Century mills

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

19th Century mills

Postby Frodo » Tue May 02, 2023 8:49 pm

Researching Joseph Taylor (1783-1842) I noticed that on Sarah Jemima's baptism record in 1812 he was a Miller living in Ham Green. By 1813 when Eleanor was born he was a labourer (presumably a farm labourer as that is what is listed on the 1841 Census) living near Woodgate. I found a list of Worcestershire mills with one at Stoke Prior but haven't found anything at Ham Green. Does anyone have any knowledge of the area that would confirm whether Ham Green had a mill and whether the mill Joseph worked in would have been a flour mill. I know Redditch has a connection with Needle mills.
Frodo

Re: 19th Century mills

Postby gardener » Wed May 03, 2023 1:39 pm

This map is quite a bit later, but has a corn mill marked just north of Ham Green https://www.british-history.ac.uk/os-1- ... ire/023/sw
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Frodo » Wed May 03, 2023 8:54 pm

Thanks, that might make sense especially as Joseph then became an agricultural labourer when he was living at Woodgate (1841 Census).
As the family were living at Ham Green then especially at the time my Great Grandfather Nathan was born near/at Woodgate are Ham Green and Woodgate places in their own right so we can say Nathan came from Woodgate or would they have been thought of as still part of Stoke Prior. We have always said that Nathan came from Stoke Prior because of the baptism records.
Frodo

Postby gardener » Fri May 05, 2023 10:36 pm

Frodo wrote:Thanks, that might make sense especially as Joseph then became an agricultural labourer when he was living at Woodgate (1841 Census).
As the family were living at Ham Green then especially at the time my Great Grandfather Nathan was born near/at Woodgate are Ham Green and Woodgate places in their own right so we can say Nathan came from Woodgate or would they have been thought of as still part of Stoke Prior. We have always said that Nathan came from Stoke Prior because of the baptism records.

Assuming it is the same couple, Joseph seems to have moved around a bit and had various occupations in the baptismal records, including shoe maker/cordwainer.
It looks as though Stoke Prior was the parish where they lived most of the time. The 1841 census has quite a few houses recorded as Woodgate. Perhaps it was a hamlet? Nathan says Stoke Prior on the census doesn't he? I would say that he was "from" there, even if he was born in a hamlet in that parish.

Was Abigail was one of the children? She seems to have been baptised in Alvechurch parish, which is the next parish over.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Frodo » Sat May 06, 2023 7:34 pm

I am not sure but I think there may be more than one Joseph and Ann Taylor in Stoke Prior around that time. I have sourced the baptism records so in January 1813 (Sarah) Joseph is a Miller in Ham Green, in October 1813 (Eleanor/Ellen) he is a labourer living near Woodgate, in 1819 (Philemon) he is a labourer living Stoke Prior,in 1823 (Eliza) he is a labourer living Woodgate, in 1826 (Betsey) he is a labourer living Stoke and is also listed as labourer Stoke for 1832 (Nathan). There is also a record for 1815(Elizabeth) Woodgate labourer but I am still not convinced she is part of the family as she is not in the Family Bible or in the Will. In 1852 when Nathan married Joseph is listed as a shoemaker but he died in 1842, his wife Ann had already remarried.
There is definitely no member of the family called Abigail.
Frodo

Return to Black Country Industries