Stanton, Oldswinford

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Stanton, Oldswinford

Postby Antiquary » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:35 am

In the 1851 census, I have found this couple at High Street, Oldswinford, Stourbridge: William Stanton (40), a boot and shoe maker, and his wife, Mary (38). (HO 107 2035/56). The place of birth for both looks like St. Mary Le Bone, London, but it could be St. Mary Le Bow, since St. Marylebone was in Middlesex (not London).

I would like to get more information about this couple by finding them in earlier or later records, for example, the 1841 or 1861 census. Did either of them die in the area? How long were they there? I'm not at all familiar with records in the Stourbridge area. Any help much appreciated.
Antiquary

Re: Stanton, Oldswinford

Postby peterd » Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:08 pm

but would not Middlesex come into greater London, you getting greater London mixed up with the area classed as the city of London

https://www.businessinsider.com/histori ... ons-1812-4
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby Jimmy » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:18 pm

Is this them.

William Stanton. full age. bachelor. shoe maker. William Stanton. shoe maker.
Mary Ann Crosby. full age. spinster. William Crosby. glass blower.
Marriage Date: 9 May 1841.
Marriage Place: St Anne, Soho, London, Westminster.
Jimmy

Postby Antiquary » Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:40 pm

Peterd: The birthplace part of the census entry usually includes the county. St. Mary Le Bow was in London. St. Marylebone was in Middlesex, so I assume they may have written Middlesex, but it seems from what you say that London was also possible. The handwriting looks to me more like St. Mary Le Bone.

Many thanks, Jimmy. I know of this couple and note that he was a shoe maker. It could be the same people, but a baptism for neither of them has been found at St. Marylebone or St. Mary Le Bow, and in 1851 it was Mary, whereas they may have written Mary Ann if it were Mary Ann née Crosby. I haven't found either of these couples on the 1841 census.
Antiquary

Postby peterd » Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:02 pm

that defiantly a ne on the end the census collector would of written what he was told so if William said London as in greater London instead of Middlesex that what would of been written

z.jpg
z.jpg (47.17 KiB) Viewed 4108 times
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:35 pm

moving this to general discussion as they are born in an area other than the Black country
Northern Lass

Return to General Discussion